Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Confessions of an ex-unemployed


A job is not just a job. It means much more to us than we think it does. If you don’t believe, ask me. I have been a victim of the "You have a job right? OMG you don't?" malady. Moving in and out of jobs has been distasteful and being there I assure you, empathy is never on the menu!

When I started working as a PhD student I loved the very moment of my financial independence. To pursue a degree in Germany without making my parents run a “money -worry” in their head brought along unaccustomed self-reliance. In retrospect, I think it was all about money at that time.

So far so good. But then, I became Dr. Arpita and was ushered in to a world where contrary to the popular belief, we PhD’s did have trouble finding work. After pushing myself so hard all my life to have a career, I was without one. Being unemployed affected the rest of my viability in ways I could hardly comprehend. Every day I was obsessed over the fact that may be “I read too much or didn’t read enough!” The very sense of purpose was lost. I was eating less, sleeping less but plaguing myself and people around me more and more. Especially JR. We spent all our time worrying together, brooding together and getting irritated together- but still doing it together, and I thank God for that :)

Today I am employed. I don’t know if I have landed with a job I love or financially I am where I would love to see myself. All I can say it has just begun and in the light of all circumstances I know it means a lot to me. And it’s not only about money this time. It’s about independence, confidence, self-worth and goals in life. It’s about dreams. It’s about envisioning a beautiful life with JR and working towards making it happen. It’s about contentment.

Picture courtesy: http://www.kwika.org

4 comments:

Gifts2Hongkong.com said...

Your gifts shower your heartfelt love and concern on your loved ones, and suddenly your gifts result a bonanza to your events. Gifts are the instant rockers of your party, and more importantly, it’s actually a symbol of none other than you. Just visit www.gifts2hongkong.com
to visit your inner taste for gifting.

Right Florist said...

Keep your worries behind and present your dear ones with lovely arrangement of flowers along with sweet pleasure. Visit www.rightflorist.in/Hyderabad/Hyderabad_florist.asp to catch up with the impressive bouquets.

Elizabeth Bernett said...

What better gift option can you think off when you have many bouquet options in your hands? You need to visit an online store that is specially meant for the bouquet delivery to USA. The online store www.flowersdeliveryusa24x7.com
is specially meant for this purpose that comes with lots of options.

sumana jana said...

Now the means of happiness comes in a single canvas. Make warm wishes to your beloved on this Valentine Days by sending these arrangements of Flowers in heart shape and a cute teddy that will sure speak out your expression of your heart and minds. Just get in touch with our online site www.indiafloristnetwork.com/valentines%20day.asp to Send Valentine’s Day Gifts and Flowers to India.